My Half Marathon, because you were dying to know how it all turned out.

Runners in the Atlanta Skyline

The weeks leading up to the Half Marathon were really a series of injuries and mostly preventable errors which caused me to slow down, take extra rest days, experience pain, revise training schedules, and doubt whether or not I could actually run the race.

*It started with an arch issue, like plantar fascitis, resulting from a worn out shoe (lesson is to keep track of shoe mileage and replace at ~400 miles) Enter new shoes, arch support (Superfeet) and KT Tape (a big help).

*Next was a strained hamstring which happened during my first 12 mile training run. I thought it was just a little cramping, due to electrolyte consumption, but it cause some pretty severe pain in the next few days, including having to drop out of a little 5k race for severe pain. This required more time off, ice bath, compression wraps, reduced speed, and a really acute awareness of how that area felt. Oh, and cross training — lots of cycling.

*Third was an Achilles strain. I bought a couple pairs of lower platform (4mm) running shoes and broke them in with some 3,5 and 7 mile runs. But on the 13 mile run, my calves got really crampy at the end, and the Achilles has been sore ever since. I had this once before in the early 90’s when an Air Max sole leaked unbeknownst to me on a 16 mile run. That took a little time to go away.

*Fourth was a pretty nasty rolled ankle / top of foot injury… on my very last longer run, 5 days prior to the race. This resulted in ‘no more running’ until the race. Advice I didn’t keep, because by Wednesday (the race being Thursday) I just needed to see if I was going to be able to go or not. I was ok on a super easy 3 mile run at Piedmont Park prior to checking in at the hotel.

I learned a few things: Replace shoes often. Don’t change shoe platform before a race. Cross Training and lateral strengthening to reduce hamstring injuries, and well, sometimes you just make a mistake and fall down.

I checked into the Marriott Marquis, which is where the race HQ was. I felt very at home at the Runner’s Expo. People like me, looking at stuff they think is cool. Everyone getting the shirts and numbers and milling around. Like being home. Nice.

I hadn’t eaten much that day, so I decided to do a little old fashioned carbo loading. I chose The Waffle House. Not the kind of stuff I normally eat, but easily digestible, and this, I believe served me well.

Race morning I woke up with an alarm. I had all my stuff set out, grabbed a quick shower and dressed. I knew I was ~ 2 miles from the the starting line. My plan was to walk to the starting line a use the clothing storage bag provided. I grabbed a cup of coffee from the Starbucks in the loby and started walking. I walked with a runner from LA in town visiting her family. This was a good choice, walking. I also ate some GU chomps and some bean (basically jelly beans for runners) I stowed my excess stuff (it was much warmer than the weatherman predicted), used the facilites, and wandered into the B corral.

The advent of electronic time bands has really de-stressed the starting line. We started off and I just tried to run at a natural comfortable pace. I was surprised that the splits were as quick as they were, and I felt great. I mean other than feeling tentative with the injuries… it all was much better than I expected.

Course Map

So the first 4 miles seemed a little draggy… but nice, and by the time I hit 7 I was feeling quite well. I had never used any water or electrolyte gel in any race, ever, but I decided to consume a Roctane at 7 miles, to be safe. Well with a dry mouth, that stuff is like tar. It was making me cough, and I choked it down. Also, I tried to take a cup of water, but it’s really hard for me to drink from a cup while running, and I don’t like to stop. I spilled most of it on me, chocked on the sip I got, and tossed the cup. Not enough.

I did actually stop to drink a cup at one point. Here are my split times:

First half split times

2nd half split times

When I look at those times what I see is a pretty consistent effort hampered by the injuries. Uninjured I would have probably been around 7:50 pace the whole way. Also what I see is that I was a little slower in the hilliest sections… What I expected to see was a real drop off in mile 9 and 10, where mentally I felt like I was going to cramp… and had to keep telling myself to ease up and to adjust and improve my posture. I saw so many runners leaning forward. It reminded me to stand up tall, and keep good form. It really wasn’t until 11.5 I began to really run with some confidence, and by the end I was feeling like I normally do in a race.

A good number of us had a nice competitive pace at the end, and it felt good to be able to run with intent instead of caution. For my efforts I was given this at the finish line:

Heavy Medal!

Then I grabbed my bag of clothes, threw on a windbreaker and a dry shirt (yes the sporty new one) and walked the ~ 2 miles back to the hotel.
My conclusions:
1. I liked the race, a lot.
2. I will try to keep a half marathon in my schedule once a year or so
3. My weekly training will include a long run of 10+ miles
4. I need to heal up these injuries now that this is passed
5. I did a few things regrettable wrong and I paid the consequences
6. I did a whole bunch of things right, and reaped the benefits
7. I thrive on consistency and mutual support, such as I get from my friend’s Jennah and Chris, and the people I know from @DailyMile and @Twitter

Feel free to post your comments! And thank you all for your support and healthful and sometimes funny guidance.



7 thoughts on “My Half Marathon, because you were dying to know how it all turned out.

  1. Congratulations and it sounds like you learned a lot about what you need to do for the next 1/2 you run. Good luck and keep training. Changing a shoe style just before a big race is something that I have done and regretted more than once, but it is something runner seem to do all too often.



  2. Nice write up with great detail. I enjoyed this and believe me, I read a bunch of them. Beautiful medal too. Congrats on a great race.


  3. Nice race report! I’m surprised you don’t take any fuel or at least water during a race normally. I can’t drink from the cups very well either but usually take handheld with water & nuun in it and then carry my own energy gel for half marathons. Definitely need some water to get the gel down but some are better than others. Gu doesn’t settle well with me anyway. I like Hammergels and they are a thinner consistency too. Glad the injuries didn’t hinder you too much!


    • Jeannie the story of me and not taking fluids or supplements during races goes back to the races all being 5k, 10k and 15k races. None lasted more than 1 hour. Most of the time I was compelled to not slow down, as I usually raced in the 6:25 pace and didnt want to break the pace.

      Now tho as a 52 year old who’s getting back into shape and running a lot slower, (albeit happy) I see the need. Especially in anything longer than a 10k. So, for the future I think I will get a little bottle of some sort for the half. I do like Nuun! On my 1/2 Mary trx runs I place a bottle of Nuun and an opened GU at the half way point and definitely felt better.

      Now I just need to start that 3 day detox.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s